It all starts by creating a great profile and submitting a job proposal. Getting freelance work online is a lot like traditional searching — you submit applications on projects, then impress potential clients before being offered the project.
•Create an outstanding freelancer profile to showcase your business. Think of it as an introduction, resume, and marketing brochure rolled into one, highlighting your: professional skills, experience, and portfolio; education and accomplishments; and online skills test results. The best profiles are complete, well-written, error-free, and feature a professional, friendly-looking picture.
•Sending the client a compelling proposal. This will greatly increase your likelihood of getting an interview, so consider making sure yours is: professional, well-written, and error-free; tailor-made for the work you're seeking; and a true representation of your strengths and skills.
All projects include Virtual Office Gurus LLC payment protection — helping ensure that you get paid for all work successfully completed through the freelancing website.
- •Hourly and fixed-price projects: For hourly work, submit timesheets through Virtual Office Gurus LLC. For fixed-price jobs, set milestones and funds are released securely through our escrow service.
- •Payment options. All payments are made securely through our escrow service. You receive funds via Paypal.
All invoices and payments happen through Virtual Office Gurus LLC. Count on a simple and streamlined process.
When working on hourly projects, you're eligible for Virtual Office Gurus LLC Payment Protection that assures that an hour worked is an hour paid. On fixed-price contracts, pre-funded milestone payments from your clients are secure with our fixed-price protection.
We charge a freelancer service fee, taken as a percentage of your earnings on Virtual Office Gurus LLC. It is a sliding fee based on your lifetime billings with each client.
Virtual Office Gurus LLC provides a user-friendly platform to helps you chat, share files, track your time, and get paid.
- •Download the Virtual Office Gurus desktop time tracker app. It includes the work diary, which helps ensure you are paid for the work you do. It also provides proof to your clients that you are hard at work on their project.
- •Your client will be billed automatically for the time you track via our desktop app.
- •Set milestones and deadlines with your client for each part of the project.
- •Submit work for each milestone completed. Your client will release funds from escrow upon approval.
When you deliver great work to your clients, success will follow.
The most successful freelancers are:
- •Responsive to clients, responding in a timely manner
- •Excellent communication verbally and written
- •Upfront about abilities, schedules and deadlines
- •Able to deliver excellent work on time, every time
It all starts by posting a job. Tell us about your project and the specific skills required. Our search functionality highlights freelancers based on freelancer skills, we also help you find talent that’s a good match. After you sign up, find a freelancer and click the “Hire” button to get started.
- •Listen to voice samples, browse profiles to see ratings, portfolios, and more.
- •Review proposals. Evaluate each freelancer’s qualifications, thought process, timeline, and overall cost.
- •Schedule a chat. Ask specific questions, determine who’s the best fit, and begin.
Yes, we use several means to verify that freelancers are who they say they are. Information is also displayed that gives you a sense of each person’s skill level. In part, this includes:
- •Authenticating email addresses
- •Providing voice sample recordings
- •Displaying each freelancer’s feedback on past projects
Our 4 Step Process to Find The Best Freelancers
We use work activity data to identify the best freelancer’s and invite them to join our talented group. Top freelancers who learn about the program can also apply.
2. Skills Evaluation
We review each freelancer’s professional experience, client feedback, and work examples to assess their level of skills expertise and knowledge of best practices. Most freelancers also complete a skill-specific assessment, such as a typing test or a live simulation.
3. Video Interview
Our final layer of screening is a video interview that assesses their communication skills, critical thinking, and professionalism. If all the criteria above are met, the freelancer joins our group.
Virtual Office Gurus LLC makes paying freelancers easy and secure. Choose to pay using MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, or PayPal. Some payments may be subject to a 2.75% processing fee.
Yes, all payments have invoices that can be downloaded or printed.
Built into our website platform are several methods of verifying work.
- •On hourly contracts, you can review the work diary. It tracks billable time and records completed work. It counts keystrokes and takes screenshots of the freelancer’s screen (several times per hour), so you can verify billable hours.
- •On fixed-price jobs, you and your freelancer agree on milestones for each project. When your freelancer reaches a milestone, you review the work and release funds when the work is approved.
We also include a messaging platform so you can chat and share files with your freelancer.
You should not be responsible for filing 1099-MISC forms for your freelancer.
One of the benefits of paying your freelancer through Vietual Office Gurus LLC is that, in general, if your freelancer is correctly classified as an independent contractor you should not be responsible for reporting payments on Form 1099-MISC. The reason is that our escrow service is a “third-party payment network.” When you make payments through our third-party payment network, Form 1099 reporting becomes our responsibility, not yours. Specifically, we are obligated to report payments to independent contractors on Form 1099-K when applicable, which means you should not be obligated to report on Form 1099-MISC. All freelancers classified as U.S. Persons must submit Form W-9 information to us on our website so that our escrow service can accurately report on Form 1099-K.
The foregoing assumes you have correctly classified your freelancer as an independent contractor to you, instead of an employee. As a reminder, you are responsible to determine the proper classification of all of your freelancers as either independent contractors or employees. For U.S.-based freelancers, you should refer to the IRS guidelines and other federal, state, and local regulations applicable to you.
Naturally, we’re not gurus on tax matters for your specific business, so you should consult a tax professional if you have questions or concerns about this or any other tax-related issues. If you’re not based in the U.S. or have additional questions, please consult your local tax representative for more information on filing tax forms in your country.